Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Let No One Rend Asunder

By Laurie Cicotello


When my parents married 37 years ago, their wedding vows read, "Let no one rend asunder" their marriage and, yet, many legislators keep trying.

When my transgendered parent transitioned more than 20 years ago, my folks stayed together as a same-sex couple. My parents are in a race against time to stop lawmakers from annulling their marriage.

If people really want to save "traditional marriage," why not outlaw no-fault divorce laws that make it possible for people to walk away from marriages even before the ink is dry on their marriage licenses?

Instead, Americans listen complacently to the thrice-married Rush Limbaugh say we are evil and immoral for fighting for non-traditional marriages and families.

If people are defined solely by their ability to have children, then outlaw marriage between anyone incapable of bearing children, such as senior citizens and infertile couples.

As an adult, let me assure you, I am not worse off for growing up in my non-traditional family. I have high moral values. I am an upstanding citizen, and I am an award-winning journalist.

But I guess I'm going to hell simply for honoring my parents. My bad.

Millions of children are much more damaged in so-called traditional families in which divorce wreaks havoc and where love isn't always apparent.

Help my parents keep the wedding vow they took so many years ago: "Let no one rend asunder" their marriage simply because one partner changed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home